Website Wellington Water
The purpose of the Backflow Technical Officer is to provide operational management of the backflow prevention information systems and program across all our client council areas and liaise with property owners to ensure sites have appropriate backflow devices installed and tested. You will be responsible for performing and arranging audits and surveys of the backflow equipment in place and escalating issues identified for resolution.
In this role you will continuously improve backflow prevention to meet the legal obligations of Wellington Water under the Water Services Act 2021. You will provide information and reporting to the Safe Drinking Water Committee which oversees our commitment to the Drinking Water Safety Plan. This includes reporting on the adequacy and extent of backflow prevention, the risk assessment procedures, bylaws, policies, data management systems, procedures and enforcements that are in place, and how Wellington Water and our client councils are working together to mitigate backflow risk. You will guide and contribute to the development and improvement of company systems to achieve this objective.
To be successful in this role you will bring the following:
- Experience in management of backflow prevention, including legislation, inspection and maintenance work within the industry as an Independent Qualified Person or a similar role
- Thorough understanding of the drinking water networks and risk posed due to backflow and requirements for backflow prevention devices to manage this risk
- Familiarity with the Water Services Act 2021, Building Act 2004, Health Act, and any local government legislation that applies to compliance for backflow prevention
- Thorough understanding of workplace health and safety requirements
- Independent Qualified Person (IQP) registration, including BFP SS7 Certification (backflow), or appropriate engineering qualification
- Membership of Water NZ Backflow Group preferred
- Full driver’s licence
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as strong relationship management skills
- Sound leadership and influencing skills
- An analytical and logical approach
- A strong health and safety focus
Wellington Water knows that a great values-driven culture like ours means we can be a trusted advisor to the region’s councils and deliver great outcomes for our customers. Wellington Water plans and delivers drinking water, wastewater and storm water services from source to sea in partnership with the community, engineering consultants and contractors.
People work at Wellington Water because they want to make a difference. That means you will be helping to look after our most precious assets: water, human health and welfare, and the environment so our communities can prosper.
Why join us
It is an exciting time to be working in the water sector, not only are you at the forefront of looking after our most precious assets: water, human health and welfare and the environment, but proposed changes for the sector is increasing awareness around the importance of managing the three waters and creating new opportunities. Your personal and professional growth will be encouraged, and you will work alongside likeminded people who are passionate about their work and have a strong sense of purpose. If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you!
To see our benefits please copy and paste the URL below into your internet brower’s address bar: https://careers.wellingtonwater.co.nz/
Applications close on Sunday, 22 May 2022.
How to apply
To see the job description file please copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser’s address bar: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i-GDgsKm50dtdlD_QDx58eZUAOnrSCP2/view?usp=sharing
To apply for the role, visit the Wellington Water careers site.
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand, or be eligible to obtain it.
To find out more about work visa eligibility and options please copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser’s address bar: https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/move-to-new-zealand/visas-citizenship/visas-to-work
For further information, email: JoinUs@wellingtonwater.co.nz
We support being fully vaccinated. Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to commencing employment with Wellington Water. You must also be legally entitled to work long-term in New Zealand.