We are committed to ensuring that all of our trainees receive high quality training and are assessed fairly and consistently against national standards. We do this by:
- Developing assessment resources for Connexis managed Unit Standards.
- Having a robust registration process for our assessors.
- Pre-assessment moderation of assessment material for Connexis resources and our training providers that deliver our qualifications.
- Following best practice for moderation.
- Providing professional development and support for our moderators and assessors.
An assessor makes a judgment on the skills and knowledge of an individual to determine whether they meet the required competencies (unit standards). Some companies have their own in-house assessors, while others use assessors outside their companies.
Registered assessors have industry experience and extensive technical knowledge and skills. All workplace assessors will hold unit standard 4098 – Use standards to assess candidate performance or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge and skills.
To ensure all registered assessors have sufficient knowledge and skills, assessors are provided with an assessment scope. This scope reflects the experience and qualifications the assessor currently holds and determines what unit standards they may assess.
Ensuring the quality of assessment
Connexis moderators moderate assessment decisions of registered assessors. This is a quality assurance process to ensure assessors are making similar decisions and that assessments are valid, consistent and fair.
Connexis sets the National Standard for consistency in assessment through its moderation process. This process ensures that:
- Assessment decisions are fair, valid and consistent.
- Assessment decisions are reliable and consistent between assessors.
- Moderation supports assessors and providers to meet industry standards and helps identify where improvements may be made.
Assessment results reporting
Assessors are now required to enter assessment results via the web portal and the Assessment Results Reporting Form has now been removed from the website. If you have any issues entering results or are needing a web portal login set up, please contact QA at email@example.com.
Who carries out moderation?
Moderation is carried out by moderators who are senior in their industry and are responsible for conducting:
- Internal moderation of the assessments carried out by Connexis registered assessors.
- Pre-assessment moderation of assessment resources developed for Connexis managed unit standards.
- External moderation, including evaluation visits of training providers with Consent to Assess Connexis managed qualifications and unit standards.
Connexis Consent Moderation and Assessment Policy and Procedures (CMAPP)
Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures CMAPP gives effect to the Connexis Governance Policy and explains the responsibilities of Connexis Assessors and Providers with Consent to Assess. View it by clicking here.
Dates for the 2019 assessor forums have been confirmed! You are able to view these upcoming dates and register online through the Connexis Web Portal. Assessors that did not attend a forum in 2018 must attend a forum in 2019 to adhere to the assessor registration requirements.
Moderators are an integral part of the assessment and QMS process. Connexis administers the moderation system through a supportive and educative approach. Moderators will be expected to contact assessors as part of this process, and provide constructive feedback regarding the moderation results.
Applications to become a Connexis Moderator are accepted throughout the year. All applicants must meet the current moderator selection criteria before applications are presented to the Connexis’ National Moderator for consideration. If you are interested in applying to become a Connexis moderator please fill in the Moderator Application Form and email this back to firstname.lastname@example.org
Access your assigned moderations online
If you are a moderator you can access your assigned moderations by:
- Going to the Login page on this website.
- Scrolling down to the User Login box and entering your username and password.
- Once you’re logged on to the web portal:
- Select Moderator role from the pick list.
- Click on the Moderation Details menu tab.
For Training Providers
We work closely with a range of training providers who deliver training for the Infrastructure Industries.
As part of being a Connexis accredited training provider our Annual Moderation Plan indicates those that have been selected for an Evaluative Visit in the coming year. This is in accordance with CMR 101 and 120.
If you would like to become an accredited training provider, please email us at email@example.com
If you are a private training provider and need to purchase any of our resource material you will need to complete the PTE Resource Order Form.
Qualification, Programme & Unit Standard Reviews
To ensure our qualifications, programmes and unit standards are fit for purpose and useful for industry they undergo reviews. Every five years (or sooner if industry triggers an early review) an review and consultation process on a qualification, programme and/or unit standards.
For details on our active reviews, please visit the industry pages below.
Become a Connexis Assessor
As a Connexis Assessor you can apply your skills and knowledge to enable others to achieve unit standards leading to industry qualifications. Assessors judge competency levels and assess trainee assessments. Being an assessor is a key role in supporting trainees to get recognition for their skills through the achievement of industry qualifications.
To become a Connexis Assessor, as a pre-requisite, you are expected to attend a Connexis Assessor Training Course and must hold unit standard 4098 Use standards to assess candidate performance. If you already hold unit standard 4098, an assessor application will be considered if you complete the Assessor Application Form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The two unit standards covered in the Connexis Assessor Training Course are:
- 4098: Use standards to assess candidate performance
- 11281: Prepare candidates for assessment against standards
- Candidates will learn about Assessor process and practice and complete the practical tasks required to achieve US4098 and US11281.
- Connexis will forward two assessments for candidates to complete as trainees. The assessments must be completed prior to attending the course.
- The two-day course runs from 9.00am to 3.00pm each day.
- The cost to attend a two-day Assessor training course is $550.00 (plus GST)
- A minimum of eight registered attendees are required for a course to proceed. Courses will be confirmed two weeks prior to the advertised date.
- Understanding the Connexis workplace assessment process
- Understanding unit standards, qualifications, and associated governance
- Preparing trainees for assessment
- Assessing trainees
- Best practice in assessment
- Tools to gain unit standards 4098 and 11281
- Completion of US4098/11281 assessment. Candidates alternate roles as trainee and assessor and will be observed conducting pre-assessment, assessment and post assessment processes.
- The completed 4098/11281 portfolio is submitted to an external assessor for assessment.
Upcoming Training Dates
- 24th and 25th September – Auckland (REGISTRATIONS FULL)
To arrange an Assessor Training Course for your organisation, email us at email@example.com. A minimum of eight attendees is required.
How To Enrol
Connexis has a library of assessment resources which have been pre-assessment moderated. Assessor and trainee assessment resources are available for unit standards in Connexis qualifications. These resources are pre-assessment moderated to ensure they are fair, valid and consistent and meeting the National Standard. The resources are available to registered assessors and can be downloaded through the Web Portal. To do this:
- Go to the Login page on this website.
- Scroll down to the User Login box and enter your username and password.
- Once you’re logged on to the web portal:
- Click on the Training menu tab
- Select Assessment Materials.
If you can’t find the assessor guide you’re looking for, please contact resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have difficulties logging into the Web Portal, please contact email@example.com.
Connexis Consent, Moderation and Assessment Policy and Procedures (CMAPP)
The Connexis Consent, Moderation and Assessment Policies and Procedures (CMAPP) document is the Quality Assurance team’s Policies and Procedures giving effect to the Connexis Governance Policy of Consent Moderation Requirements (CMR) 101 120.
Forms currently available are listed below and can be downloaded by clicking on the links.
Assessor Application Guide – for new assessors
Assessor Application Form – for new applications, extension of scopes and re-registration
Post-assessment Moderation Cover Sheet – for new assessors