Assessment & Moderation
We are committed to ensuring that all of our trainees receive high quality training and are assessed fairly and consistently against national standards. We do this by:
- Developing assessment resources for Connexis managed Unit Standards.
- Having a robust registration process for our assessors.
- Pre-assessment moderation of assessment material for Connexis resources and our training providers that deliver our qualifications.
- Following best practice for moderation.
- Providing professional development and support for our moderators and assessors.
An assessor makes a judgment on the skills and knowledge of an individual to determine whether they meet the required competencies (unit standards). Some companies have their own in-house assessors, while others use assessors outside their companies.
Registered assessors have industry experience and extensive technical knowledge and skills. All workplace assessors will hold unit standard 4098 - Use standards to assess candidate performance or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge and skills.
To ensure all registered assessors have sufficient knowledge and skills, assessors are provided with an assessment scope. This scope reflects the experience and qualifications the assessor currently holds and determines what unit standards they may assess.
Ensuring the quality of assessment
Connexis moderators moderate assessment decisions of registered assessors. This is a quality assurance process to ensure assessors are making similar decisions and that assessments are valid, consistent and fair.
Connexis sets the National Standard for consistency in assessment through its moderation process. This process ensures that:
- Assessment decisions are fair, valid and consistent.
- Assessment decisions are reliable and consistent between assessors.
- Moderation supports assessors and providers to meet industry standards and helps identify where improvements may be made.
Assessment results reporting
Assessors are now required to enter assessment results via the new Connexis Assessment Results Workbook. To assist you with the use of this workbook please find the resources below:
- Assessor Portal Userguide
- Assessor Application Form
- Assessor Workbook Userguide
- Workbook FAQs
- Entering Results in Workbook Video Walk-through
- Saving Master File Video Walk-through
If you have any issues entering results please contact QA at email@example.com.
Who carries out moderation?
Moderation is carried out by moderators who are senior in their industry and are responsible for conducting:
- Internal moderation of the assessments carried out by Connexis registered assessors and contracted providers.
- Pre-assessment moderation of assessment resources developed for Connexis programmes.
- Moderation of newly registered assessors.
To ensure that assessment practice is up to the standard, Connexis moderates assessors annually on a plan that covers all unit standards reported over a five-year period.
Connexis is also required to comply with annual external moderation requirements set up by the relevant Workforce Development Council (WDC) or NZQA.
Connexis Consent Moderation and Assessment Policy and Procedures (CMAPP)
Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures CMAPP gives effect to the Connexis Governance Policy and explains the responsibilities of Connexis Assessors and Providers with Consent to Assess. View it by clicking here.
Connexis Assessor Forums
The Assessor Forum dates for 2023 will be uploaded in due course. Please check back later.
Become a Connexis Assessor
To become a Connexis Assessor, as a pre-requisite, you are expected to attend a Connexis Assessor Training Course and must hold unit standard 4098 Use standards to assess candidate performance. If you already hold unit standard 4098, an assessor application will be considered if you complete the Assessor Application Form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The unit standard covered in the Connexis Assessor Training Course is:
- 4098: Use standards to assess candidate performance
- Candidates will learn about Assessor process and practice and complete the practical tasks required to achieve US4098.
- Connexis will forward two assessments for candidates to complete as trainees. The assessments must be completed prior to attending the course.
- The two-day course runs from 9.00am to 3.00pm each day.
- The cost to attend a two-day Assessor training course is $550.00 (plus GST)
- A minimum of eight registered attendees are required for a course to proceed. Courses will be confirmed two weeks prior to the advertised date.
- Understanding the Connexis workplace assessment process
- Understanding unit standards, qualifications, and associated governance
- Preparing trainees for assessment
- Assessing trainees
- Best practice in assessment
- Tools to gain unit standard 4098.
- Completion of US4098 assessment. Candidates alternate roles as trainee and assessor and will be observed conducting pre-assessment, assessment and post assessment processes.
- The completed 4098 portfolio is submitted to an external assessor for assessment.
2023 Assessor Training Course Dates and Locations
Below are the course dates and locations for 2023. Please fill out the form if you are interested in taking part in one of these courses.
Auckland - 15 & 16 February or 14 & 15 June
Wellington - 8 & 9 March
Christchurch - 15 & 16 March or 9 & 10 August
Hamilton - 26 & 27 April or 29 & 30 August
Dunedin - 10 & 11 May or 19 & 20 September
Moderators are an integral part of the assessment and QMS process. Connexis administers the moderation system through a supportive and educative approach. Moderators will be expected to contact assessors as part of this process, and provide constructive feedback regarding the moderation results.
Applications to become a Connexis Moderator are accepted throughout the year. All applicants must meet the current moderator selection criteria before applications are presented to the Connexis’ National Moderator for consideration. If you are interested in applying to become a Connexis moderator please fill in the Moderator Application Form and email this back to email@example.com
Connexis Moderator Forums
The Moderator Forum dates for 2023 will be uploaded in due course. Please check back later.
For Training Providers
We work closely with a range of training providers who deliver training across the Infrastructure Industry.
We recommend that training provider trainers and assessors also register as a Connexis Assessor so that they receive the Assessor Newsletter and can attend the Assessor Forums to keep up to date.
We will continue to moderate samples of assessments reported by training providers using Connexis’ accreditation scope.
For further information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualification, Programme & Unit Standard Reviews
To ensure our qualifications, programmes and unit standards are fit for purpose and useful for industry, they undergo reviews. Every five years (or sooner if required by industry) a review and consultation process will take place on a qualification, programme, and/or its' unit standards, where we work with industry representatives to ensure our programmes are achievable for infrastructure workers looking to get skilled up.
For further information on Qualification Reviews please visit Waihanga Ara Rau
Connexis has a library of assessment resources which have been pre-assessment moderated. Assessor and trainee assessment resources are available for unit standards in Connexis qualifications. These resources are pre-assessment moderated to ensure they are fair, valid and consistent and meeting the National Standard. The assessor guide resources are available to registered assessors and can be downloaded through the Learning Management System.
If you have difficulties logging into the Learning Management System, please contact email@example.com.
Assessor Application Form - for new applications, extension of scopes and re-registration
Pre-assessment Moderation Cover Sheet - to accompany all requests for pre-assessment moderation
Post-assessment Moderation Cover Sheet - for new assessors
Post-assessment Moderation Cover Sheet - for active assessors
Capstone Assessor Endorsement Application - for independent assessors (“assessors”) applying to the Waihanga Ara Rau Capstone Reference Group to assess Capstone Assessments.
Moderator Application Form - for new moderators